Invisible Illness Awareness Week: Day Two

I never thought I’d say this, but I had the best experience with a blood drawing today. The drive there and back took longer than when I was in the building. Normally the wait for these things takes forever.

The last time I was there, first of all, there was a screaming child that sounded like he was individually getting his nails pulled off. He had been screaming so loud that my nausea at the time had gotten worse and triggered an awful headache.

Today, the closest thing to a child was that there was a pregnant woman in the waiting room. I had a slight worry in the back of my head that I wouldn’t be able to make it back to campus in time for class, but all of my worrying was for nothing.

They called me to the back and I handed my test form to the nurse. He filled out everything on the computer as I waited patiently/Snapchatted people. What’s getting medical treatment done without a few weird selfies?

As the nurse sorted through the paper work, I watched him slowly pick out five different vials for the blood test.

‘Uh oh,’ I thought. ‘We’re going to be here a while.”

Then he rather loosely tied the tourniquet around my arm and started poking at the crook of my elbow. I personally couldn’t see any veins popping up and the last time someone tried there, the whole inside of my arm ended up getting bruised.

What I saw next was that he wasn’t using a butterfly needle. Those have almost always been used on me because of my difficult veins. I considered warning him about me being a hard stick, but for some reason I decided against it.

The time had come.

“Alright, honey, this is gonna sting a little…”

Cue me clenching my eyes and jaw.

“One, two…”

I opened my eyes and saw my blood flowing into the vials quicker than I’ve seen it since I’ve been diagnosed. I watched curiously and laughed nervously. I told the nurse that I’m normally a really hard stick and that my veins like to move. He asked me if I drank a lot of water this morning and I said that I guess I had between my medications this morning and what I drank during my first class of the day.

Before I knew it, everything was done, I had a band-aid with an extra bit of gauze on it, and I was on my way back to campus.

Can I have that nurse for everything forever?


One thought on “Invisible Illness Awareness Week: Day Two”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s